Conor McGregor Talks In-Depth About $150,000 Fine, Tells NAC: “Good Luck Trying To Get It”

Last week, it was reported that Conor McGregor was fined $150,000 by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for his part in the water-bottle throwing battle he had with Nate Diaz and Co. during a pre-fight media conference to promote UFC 202.

RollingStone.com released a brand new interview with the reigning UFC Featherweight Champion who seemingly doesn’t intend to pay the hefty fine handed down to him by the NAC this week.

“Whatever,” McGregor said regarding the NAC fine of $150,000 for his end in the “Bottle-Gate” fiasco with Nate Diaz ahead of their UFC 202 rematch in August. “It is what it is. Good luck trying to get it.”

Additionally, McGregor reiterated the point he made to UFC President Dana White about no longer wanting anything to do with fighting in the state of Nevada as a result of the NAC’s decision to fine him in an amount that both he and White said was “insane.”

“I don’t see Nevada in my future, for the foreseeable future is how I see it,” McGregor told Rolling Stone in the interview that was released today. “I’m free to do what I want. … I’m good. I’m good. New York, New York. That’s what I think.”

As he continued, he explained that he tried to own up to his actions but feels like the NAC is going overboard to the point that it feels like disrespect.

“I thought they might respect [McGregor calling in] a little bit more,” McGregor says. “I owned up. I man’d up. I’m here. I apologized. I’m not trying to blame nobody, although they fired the rounds off first. I didn’t think they would even go that route because I didn’t think this was like a real thing. Are they going to come and arrest me or what the fuck is that? I wanted to give them the respect and I felt they would have respected that but they didn’t. So, whatever. It is what it is. Good luck trying to get it.”

Initially, the the Nevada deputy attorney general’s office recommended a $25,000 fine, 25 days of community service and five hours of media training for McGregor. Commissioner Pat Lundvall wanted McGregor to pay up to $300,000, but the commission settled on $150,000.

But, according NSAC executive director Bob Bennett, “Notorious” was actually only fined $75,000 for his infraction. The other $75,000 is the value of a public service announcement that the mouthy Irishman will do for the commission.

“It appears the media and others got it wrong,” Bennett told MMA Fighting. The NSAC head also confirmed that the $75,000 fine will not go directly to the commission, but rather to the state general fund.

Obviously, Conor was none-too happy with the fine, boasting that he gets fined more than the rest of the UFC “bums” get paid, Furthermore, he issued a challenge to NSAC, telling them “good luck” in trying to collect the fine.

Plus, he also declared that he would never again fight in the state of Nevada following after he was handed the punishment, which also includes 50 hours of community service.

All those comments weren’t warranted, said Bennett, as he declared that Conor simply doesn’t understand how fines and penalties work.

“I understand that he’s upset,” Bennett said. “I understand that he commands a phenomenal following and paydays and he’s a world-renowned champ. I get that he’s frustrated — $75,000 is a lot of money. But I think the remark is inappropriate. In fairness to Conor — and I say this with the utmost respect — I just don’t think he understands how the system works when he’s fined.”

Of course should McGregor decide not to pony up the coin to settle his fine, it would likely put his upcoming Lightweight title fight against Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 on Nov. 12, 2016 in New York City in jeopardy.

NSAC has often come under scrutiny for its excessive fines and penalties, including suspending Nick Diaz for five years and fining him for $165,000 for failing a third drug test last year. Eventually, the commission agreed to reduce the penalty.

All a part of NSAC trying to right the wrong, says Bennet.

“[McGregor] wasn’t suspended, nor were people in either fighter’s camp that participated in this,” Bennett said. “The Nevada State Athletic Commission didn’t go after anybody else. … I’ll be the first to say that we’ve got it right sometimes and we haven’t gotten it right other times. When we don’t, we want to right the wrong.”

Now, the question remains if the lighter fine will be enough to change Conor‘s mind of ever fighting in Nevada.

About Debbie Wiseman

Editor in chief, Conor McGregor fangirl, animal lover. Follow me on twitter @MMAPARADISE and @nevernotdebbie